Our store is largely run by volunteers who recognize that they work with purpose and commitment, which allows programs for local foster children and youth to have sustainability. We offer volunteer opportunities for everyone. SOS Children’s Village Thrift Store Foundation volunteers work as a team to support the families of the SOS Village located in Surrey, BC and other charities, and form close bonds with one another in a sociable supportive environment. We would be delighted to have you join our thrift store team!
When you become part of the thrift store team, you have an opportunity to
Support a cause you truly believe in.
Apply your skills and learn some new ones.
Meet new people, make new friends, and develop professional contacts.
Feel the personal satisfaction of helping others and connecting with your community.
Make a difference in your own community.
Improve your health (a study in Ontario confirmed health benefits).
I love everything about this beautiful organization and have since 1985
Store Volunteer Duties
SOS Children’s Village Thrift Store Foundation volunteers perform a variety of tasks, including: sorting donations, pricing, displays, stock turnover, public relations, customer service, tidying, and store maintenance. Volunteers are assigned to one or more days a week and trained on the job by their designated leader.
- Sorting and pricing incoming donations
- Being friendly and helpful to the customers
- Sharing information about the SOS Children’s Village Thrift Store Foundation
- Working as a cashier
- Participate in an initial interview
- Have on-the-job training
- Use the store operations manual to inform themselves about policies
- Have a 90-day probation period to ensure placement is working
- Work under the direction of the Store Manager, informing her in advance if they are unable to work on their assigned day
- Are invited to participate in volunteer social activities
- Are invited to volunteer for other SOS fundraising events
- Solicit support from their community for the thrift store (ie. donations)
- Are welcome to shop in the store, but pricing is the same as customer pricing
Volunteers are asked to make a minimum of a 6 month commitment to the SOS Children’s Village Thrift Store Foundation. At the end of 6 months service, each volunteer receives a certificate and a silver SOS Children’s Village pin. The gold SOS pin is awarded to those with over 5 years of service – there are MANY volunteers who have achieved this level!
As this may be a new experience, volunteers are asked to understand that their time as a volunteer is dedicated time. A 30 to 40 minute break for lunch is part of a full day shift of 6 hours and 10 minutes for a 3 to 4 hour shift.
Volunteer Application Form
Fill out the below form and the volunteer coordinator will be in contact with you regarding your application.
Questions about Volunteering?
If you need more information, please send us a message.Contact Us